Parish Finance Council
Canon 537 of the Code of Canon Law mandates a Finance Council in each parish.
- The Council is a consultative body whose primary purpose is to assist the Pastor in the stewardship of the material goods entrusted by God to the Parish in support of the mission of the Parish and the broader Church.
- Expresses the Parish mission in dollars
- Oversees the Parish bookkeeping
- Ensures that proper internal controls exist.
Canon 537 In each parish there is to be a finance council…to assist the pastor in the administration of the goods of the parish….
Duties of the members include the following:
- Assisting the Cathedral Rector in the preparation and review of an annual budget – both operating and capital budgets
- Recommending measures to eliminate the deficit if one exists
- Overseeing the building and/or properties of the parish ensuring proper upkeep and maintenance
Norms for Parish Finance Council, Diocese of Prince George